Monday, July 3, 2017

Playing Catch

For almost 37 years of my life, my dad was always there. Not once did I ever imagine that he would not be here on this earth. Sadly in 2008 he left to a better place and there is no doubt in my mind that he is in Heaven. My dad was the greatest father, son, friend, brother, and uncle that anyone could have. He was a kind, loving person; he didn't have any enemies; and he always avoided arguments, especially with my mother [which made him very smart]. Even though he was a man of few words, he was loved by all who knew him. He always treated everyone with respect, even if he disagreed with them. My dad was a great role model, hard worker, and a great teacher. His lessons were always about life and he would often preach to us...
-Hard works pays off.
-Be good to people.
-Respect your elders.
-No one is better than you and you are not better than anyone else.
My dad was super strict and he kept his five children in check, if you know what I mean. Yes, there were plenty of mistakes on our end and he made sure that we would remember them...via the stern look and the belt. Yet, of all the vivid memories I have, one stands out the most…’playing catch’. My dad would get home after work [tired-and-all] and he would still play catch with me. He taught me how to throw a curve-ball and to pitch low and outside. I am sure that if it was up to him, he would have wanted for me to be the next Fernando Valenzuela and ‘yes’ that was my dream too. Sorry dad...the Major Leagues didn't work out but do trust that I am in a great position. I am not a pitcher, third basemen, or play left field for the New York Yankees. Instead I am the proud Principal of Rio Hondo Jr. High. I have a very difficult job...to help mold young lives, just like you molded us. This position is not about me and will never be...instead, it is about kids and making their dreams a reality. I often wonder...why can’t the next President Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Dr. Juliet Garcia, or Roberto Aguayo come from the halls of RHJH? Why not? Are we helping kids achieve their dreams? Are we giving them the skills they need to achieve those dreams? Are we creating learning environments that challenge our kids? Or...are we missing the big picture? One final question, did my dad fail because I am not in the Major Leagues? The answer is ‘no’; he along with all my teachers, gave me the skill-set that I needed to succeed in life. Little did my dad know that ‘playing catch’ would inspire me to dream. Thank you dad and until we meet again, I will be ‘playing catch’. -Your son, Asael Ruvalcaba

*This post has been modified from original of January 11, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing Catch

For almost 37 years of my life, my dad was always there. Not once did I ever imagine that he would not be here on this earth. Sadly in 20...